Financial Stuff

Child Benefit

When your child finishes Year 11, your financial circumstances may change. You may need to contact HM Revenues & Customs about this.

16 – 17 years in full-time education/training: Child Benefit may stop if you do not tell HM Revenues and Customs what your child is doing.

16 – 17 years not in full time education and training (NEET): You may qualify for extended Child Benefit for up to 20 weeks.

See the Government Guidelines

National Insurance Number (NINO)

A National Insurance number is an important form of ID for education, training and employment purposes and should be kept safe.

Your child will usually receive a National Insurance number just before their 16th birthday.

If they didn’t get a number or have lost it, they can apply on-line  or by telephoning 0300 200 3500 or Textphone 0300 200 3519.

16 – 19 Bursary Fund/Learner Fund

Depending on personal circumstances, your child may be eligible for financial support to remain in education and learning.

Your child’s college or training provider can advise you on this.

Photo Cards 16 – 18 years old

A 16-18 photo card allows you to save up to 50% off travel to school, college or work if travelling by bus, train and tram.

For young people between the age of 16-18 years living in the West Midlands, photo cards are FREE.

Further Advice and Guidance

Child benefit enquiries: online service to ask questions about your Child Benefit

Welfare Rights: Free independent and impartial advice and support on all welfare benefits


Want to speak to one of our friendly team?

Get in Touch

Find Us

One Stop Shop, Oldbury Council House, Freeth Street, Oldbury, B69 3DB

Call Us

Call: 0121 569 2955 or Freephone: 0800 358 4800

Email Us

Send us a message