Money Matters

Child Benefit

When your child finishes Year 11, your financial circumstances may change.

If your child goes into full-time education or training and you do not tell HM Revenue, your child benefits may stop. 

If your child is not in full time education or training, you may qualify for extended Child Benefit for up to 20 weeks.

See the Government Guidelines

You can contact HM Revenue about this.

National Insurance Number

Your child will need their National Insurance number when they leave school to move on to college, training or an apprenticeship. Make sure they keep it safe.

Your child will usually receive their National Insurance number just before their 16th birthday.

If they didn’t get one or have lost it, they can apply on-line or by telephoning 0300 200 3500.

16 – 19 Bursary Fund/Learner Fund

Your child may be eligible for financial support to help them remain in learning. This depends on your circumstances. 

Your child’s college or training provider can give you more advice.

Photo Cards 16 – 18 years old

A photo card allows your child to save up to 50% off the cost of travelling to school, college or work. This only applies to bus, train or tram.

For young people living in the West Midlands, photo cards are FREE.

Further Advice and Guidance

Child Benefit Enquiries: Online service for child benefit information

Welfare Rights: Impartial advice and support on welfare benefits



Want to speak to one of our friendly team?

Get in Touch

Find Us

One Stop Shop, Oldbury Council House, Freeth Street, Oldbury, B69 3DB

Call Us

Call: 07917174735

07917174702 (Tues/Weds/Thurs)

Email Us

Send us a message