Education after Age 16

You can leave school at the end of the school year in which you turn 16 years. Normally the end of year 11. However, you must be in some kind of education or training until the age of 18. 

You may decide to stay on at school or leave school.

If you leave school, Connexions Sandwell can help you find out what to do next.

Sixth Form

You could move into the sixth form at your school, move to sixth form at another school or to a sixth form college.

Staying in the same school means that you will already be familiar with the school – this might help you if you are not ready to move somewhere different.

At Sixth form you can study A-levels, vocational courses, T-levels, GCSEs, BTECs and Functional Skills. You will continue to receive extra help for your SEN if you need it.

Each sixth form has its own entry requirements.

These are the sixth form colleges in the Sandwell area

Mainstream Further Education (FE) colleges

Mainstream colleges offer a wide range of courses to suit all levels of learning. These include Academic courses (such as A Levels, GCSE’s), vocational courses (such as BTECS), basic skills courses, work related courses and life skills courses.

There are several local colleges that you could consider.

Specialist Colleges

In most cases you will be find a suitable course at a college local to where to you live.

But if you have very complex needs, you may need to look at Specialist Colleges. A specialist college provides education for SEND young people only.

You will need an EHCP to go to one of these and agree funding with Sandwell Council’s SEND team.

Find detailed information about Specialist Colleges at the NATSPEC website.

Higher Education

At 18 years, you may want to progress to university, if you achieve the required qualifications.

Your EHCP will automatically end once you move into higher education. However, extra support is still available. Universities will make reasonable adjustments for you. This can include support such as flexible seminar times, support for study skills or access to specialist computer software.

Transport to College

Please see the councils Travel Assistance page for more details.

For information about other transport options, please see the councils Post 16 Travel Policy Statement.

Prefer to speak to one of our friendly team?

No problem - chat or meet us face-to-face

Get in Touch

Find Us

Sandwell MBC Council House, Freeth Street, Oldbury, B69 3DB

Please book an appointment before visiting us.


Call Us


Phone: 0121 569 2955

Mobile: 07748930976


Email Us

Send us a message

    This information is treated in line with the Council's privacy policy